Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Texting and driving leads to a mother's heartbreak



By Jacque Tierce
On May 26, 2018, my daughter, Danielle, passed away from injuries incurred when she rear ended the back of a semi. We later found out, she was texting on Snapchat. She was 22 years old and leaves behind a three-year-old son, many family members and countless friends. 
On that fateful morning about 8 a.m., I recall hearing sirens and began praying for whoever was involved. A few minutes later, Danielle's coworker messaged me because Danielle was late for work and was not answering her phone. My heart sank immediately.
Danielle was never late for work. I called her phone twice with no luck. Panic was starting to set in. I messaged her daycare provider who was supposed to be watching Danielle's son, Jayce. Her daycare provider told me that at 7:30 p.m. that morning, Danielle had messaged her and said Jayce's other grandma had made arrangements to pick him up before Danielle left for work. Now I knew, the sirens were for Danielle.
I got a phone call a few minutes later from Danielle's phone. I answered, knowing it would not be Danielle's voice on the other line. The Kansas Highway Patrol officer informed me that Danielle was involved in an accident, she was knocked unconscious but had regained consciousness and was now being taken to our local hospital via ambulance. I arrived just as they were taking her out of the ambulance and was informed they would be airlifting her to Wichita.
Danielle was awake and able to talk to me. Words I will never forget as long as I live. “Mom,” she said in the most agonizing voice I've ever heard, “It hurts so bad Mom. My stomach hurt so bad.” I got to tell her I loved her and squeeze her hand before she went out again and was loaded into the helicopter.
My fiancé drove as we made the two-hour trip from Larned to Wichita. It was filled with tears, phone calls to loved ones of the accident and many prayers. We were notified on the way that they had done a full body scan, discovered internal bleeding and took her to immediate surgery.
When we arrived at the hospital, we, other family members and our pastor’s wife waited for surgery to be completed. After a few hours, the chaplain came in and informed us that the surgeons would be coming in soon to talk to us. The Chaplain sat down to wait with us, I looked over at her and could tell by the look on her face, it wasn't good. The surgeons, four of them, came in and said, “we discovered that the main vessel connecting Danielle's heart to her liver had been severed. She fought hard, but your daughter died.”  I couldn't even cry. I was in shock, still am! 
As we planned for her funeral, the pastor conducting her service asked us, “do you want me to say something about texting and driving during the funeral? I will do it in a tactful way.” After a few minutes of contemplation, we all agreed that it should be addressed. If we could save one person from the heartache that we are experiencing, then we needed to do that.
During the service, the pastor asked everyone to take out their cell phones and go to his Facebook page and find the post #doitfordanielle and share it. We have since created a Facebook page doitfordanielle. One post was shared over 4,500 times. It became very clear to me, my responsibility was to help get this word out!
I began doing some statistical research and have discovered many startling facts.  Do you know that 4.6 seconds is the average time it takes to read or send a text? Do you also know that in those 4.6 seconds driving at highway speed, you can travel the length of a football field and a half? 4.6 seconds!!!!
In my daughter's case, 4.6 seconds cost her her life. She didn't even brake for the semi because she didn't see it. What if she would have injured the truck driver, another driver, or a pedestrian? No text message or any other driver distraction is worth any of it!! Pull over if it's that important and can't wait! 
Through our doitfordanielle Facebook page, I received a request to come talk at a Dare Camp in Ark City. I graciously accepted and spoke to an amazing group of 6th through 8th graders on Aug. 9.  I challenged this group of kids to create a box to keep their cell phones in while driving or for their parent’s phones while driving. I called this project, “I love you more.”
Danielle used to say to her son, “I love you Jayce!” He would respond, “I love you mommy!” Danielle would then say, “I love you more!!”  The boxes were to depict on them all of the things they loved. Everything they would miss if they were no longer here.
What do YOU love more than your cell phone? Is that text message, phone call, Facebook post, Snapchat or Tweet worth more than YOUR life? Or the lives of others? 

Jacque Tierce is a dental assistant and lives in Larned.


46 comments:

  1. Jacque, what a painful but important story to tell. Thank you for having the courage to share it. I hope this post helps people understand what's at stake when they choose to drive distracted. I am so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! It's very tough to share, but needs to be done. I pray this touches many hearts and changes many lives!

      Delete
  2. I'm so thankful you are speaking out about this, Jacque. Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so thankful that you helped put this in my heart!! You have been such a blessing to our family!!

      Delete
  3. All my love, prayers and hugs to you Jacque. Your strength is amazing, and your daughter would be so proud of you. My hope is that your “I love you more boxes” end up in every motor vehicle on this earth ♥️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my dear friend!!! I pray it changes some lives!!

      Delete
  4. God Bless You!!! I can Not lie, I do it! I am always so Busy.... yes I txt & Drive... I LOVE MY GRANDBABIES MORE!!! Thank you For Sharing.... 😞
    #NoMore📲

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been guilty in the past myself. We all think, we are good drivers and can handle it. Just not true. I'm thankful that you have committed to putting your cell phone down!!

      Delete
  5. All our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family! Your doing what you have to do in memory of your Daughter--keep it going! God Bless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!! I pray this story and the others being published save some lives!!

      Delete
  6. Heartbreaking but so brave Jacque. Thank you for sharing your story. ❤️��

    ReplyDelete
  7. After reading your story I decided to start putting my phone in the back pocket of my seat, on silent.
    I tried a bracket and my purse but both of these continued to be too accessible. I know the temptation is too much to "just glance." So for Danielle I will keep it where it would be impossible to check without pulling over to access it from the back seat. I am truly sorry for your loss. Please know I will honor your daughter's memory for my family by keeping it totally out of reach and silenced.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so proud of you you my friend! Your courage and strength to share Danielle's story is admirable and inspirational. I love you so much!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love you more Jacque! You are in my thoughts and in my mind throughout the day. You are a blessing to everyone around you. Jenny Sage

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing. Think of all the lives you have touch by moving forward with this campaign. You most certainly have touched mine. I have now lost two young people to distraction driving.Thanks again for being brave. Even on hard days. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so proud of you & honoured to be your friend. I admire your strength to share your loss to inform others of distracted driving. I pray God continues to give you & your family comfort & for you to continue to prevent other needless deaths. The I love you more boxes are a wonderful idea that everyone should use. I have shared your story in St. Joseph Mo & I will continue here in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can not imagine how this would feel as being a parent - losing one of my kids would absolutely be devastating and No one can understand how it feels unless you have to deal with it but what your doing with this tragedy is speaking to anyone who reads this story- Your a strong momma and yes I am guilty of doing this myself but I can’t get a grip on how I would feel first thought is I just would be so angry and it is so heart breaking knowing this was something that could of been avoided but you are changing how people think and feel- and there is no doubt in my mind your daughter is shinning down on you and giving you that comfort you need right now To continue on- and then I thing how she might feel and I’d say she’s got to be so proud of you- your focus is on the real problem -unfortunately people tend to get angry and think about the “if’s and but’s of changing a situation and it will get none of us anywhere - what you are doing is so heartful and brave- I don’t know you but my hats is off to you! And I’m sending your story to my children and I’m praying they will also do it for not only your daughter but for you! This momma won’t be texting again I have now set my fone to auto text when I’m driving- I pray you Continue to be strong and speak to the world- you may have saved may lives by now and I see you as a angel yourself so keep it up and thank you for sharing - I know your changing the way people think and now drive!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just recently started driving and my phone is always in the seat next to me or the backseat

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have lost 3 boys and 2 Grandchildren to a genetic heart disease. It's very hard to deal with,they were so young. I pray everyone who reads your story stops and thinks about texting and driving. So sorry for your loss and thank you for what you are doing. May God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Prayers for you & may God give you strength and courage to continue with this project for Danielle to celebrate her life by educating others about texting & driving.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're so brave to speak out about this. Thank you for sharing and prayers for your family, Jacque.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for getting the word out to others! It is NOT worth texting and driving, period. Praying for you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  18. In tears. . . . I am guilty of this but have been lucky. I will ask God tonight now for forgiveness for being a fool. Danielle was 22 and I am 53. What kid of game am I playing? My condolences to her family.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you I know this is horrible to write about . My son was twittering and never saw it also . Max managed to survive well sort of he suffered a severe TBI and will never be the same but he is here. I know its hard to write these blogs this will be our second year. Keep striving to get the word out too many younger kids dont ever think it will be them. Prayers for you and your family.
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  20. So sorry for your loss, and admire your courage and strength to get the word out, especially to young drivers, about the deadly dangers of texting and driving. Nobody's life is worth a text. God Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jacque is a strong mother, full of Faith in God. This message, while heartbreaking,needs shared all across the US. Share with your loved ones the dangers of texting and driving, keep passing it on. Yes, I believe Danielle is looking down from Heaven saying, That's my Mom...I'm so thankful for her and her willingness to share with others and save lives. Love you Sis!! Robin

    ReplyDelete
  22. I DRIVE A SHUTTLE 200 MILES TO DENVER FROM MY HOME IN NEBR EVERYDAY AND BACK AGAIN AND IT MAKES ME MAD AND UPSET HOW MANY PEOPLE I SEE TEXTING STILL !! I SIT HIGHER IN A VAN SO I CAN SEE DOWN IN THEIR CARS !!IVE ALMOST BEEN SIDESWIPED SEVERAL TIMES BECAUSE OF TEXTING !! IT ANGERS ME BECAUSE I AM CARRING ANYWHERE FROM 1 TO 14 PEOPLE WITH ME !! I HAD A LADY ALMOST HIT ME ON THE DRIVERS SIDE AND THEN SHE JUST ACCLERATED AND WENT IN FRONT OF ME INTO THE DITCH..SHE WENT AIRBORN THEN ROLLED SEVERAL TIMES LANDING ON THE ROOF OF HER CAR !! AGAIN I HAD A VAN FULL OF PEOPLE !! I STOPPED AND CALLED 911 AND LET THEM KNOW SHE WAS TEXTING !! SHE WAS OK THANK GOD ..JUST PINNED IN HER CAR ! IVE CALLED A FEW OTHERS IN ALSO BUT THEY NEVER WENT AFTER THEM..I FOLLOWED A LADY DOING 85 AND TEXTING ON THE INTERSTATE..I CALLED HER IN AND AGAIN THEY NEVER WENT AFER HER !! I PRAY TO GOD SEVRAL TIMES A DAY UNTIL I MAKE IT TO DENVER AND BACK HOME WITH THE PEOPLE I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR TO GET THEM TO THEIR DESTINATIONS SAFE !!MAKES ME VERY ANGRY TO SEE PEOPLE TEXTING !! IVE ALSO SEEN SEVERAL TRUCK DRIVERS TEXTING WHILE DRIVEING..DO PEOPLE THINK IT WONT HAPPEN TO THEM ?? BETTER THINK AGAIN PEOPLE !! IF YOU NEED TO SAY SOMETHING THAT IMPORTANT THAT IT CANT WAIT THEN PULL OVER OR STAY HOME OFF THE HIGHWAYS !!! YOU MAY NOT THINK YOUR LIFE IS THAT IMPORTANT BUT IT IS TO SOMEONE AND FOR GODS SAKE CONSIDER EVERYONE ELSES LIVES BEFORE YOU HAVE TO LIVE DAY TO DAY WITH YOURSELF FOR KILLING SOMEONE !!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am so very sorry for your loss. As ashamed as I am and as dangerous as I know it is, I too am guilty of doing it. It’s 3am here so I’ve set an alarm on my phone for my 4 amazing children who mean more to me than anything in the world to help me make an “I love you more” box. Thank you so much for sharing your heartbreaking story but I hope you know you are saving lives. Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  24. These stories are nothing new. Education on distractive has been around for years but people continue to be Irresponsible.

    ReplyDelete
  25. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Thank you for sharing. I have 2 teenage sons and we will be making "I love you more" boxes before they go out and drive again. Your share is brave and will save many other young lives. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love you Jacque... I am amazed at your strength and the strength of your kids. I am so proud and honored to call you my friend. I love you to the moon.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I leave my cellphone at home it is safe there and some people think I should have it but if you are having a fight with your boyfriend keep your phone home

    ReplyDelete
  28. My condolences to you and your family it's a law in most city and states the law needs to be informed be for we lose more life's from not putting the away while driving

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you for sharing such an emotional story. But if you can save one life, then it will have been worth it. It would be so wonderful if someone could invent something in a car that would not let you call, or text while the car is in motion. Think of the lives that could be saved by some little gadget.
    Again, thank you for sharing such a painful story.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am so sorry for your loss. My 20 yr old son Justin was killed on April 7, 2002 leaving a party in a field in Winter Garden, FL. The driver left the scene. Thru the Non Profit that I've formed, I've presented Make the Right Choice to more than 50,000 young people in 3 states.I also changed the law in Fl relating to hit and run, as the young man that ran Justin over and left the scene, walked away from accountability because of a loophole in the FL statutes. Keep doing what you're doing to make the difference in her memory!

    ReplyDelete
  31. My daughter was with my grandparents and she was two years old this guy was on his phone or something and he got my grandparents and my daughter instantly killing my grandfather and seriously hurting my daughter my dad got the called we rushed to east land hospital we got there a Chaplin meet us at the er door and lead us to a chapel and got us seated and said the dr would be in with us shortly by the look on his face ik something was wrong the dr came in she had tears in her eyes and said I’m sorry i tried everything I could but your daughter passed away at 8:20 pm all I could do was just drop to my knees and oh god no and cry and I was 30 something weeks pregnant with her baby sister so thanks to an idiot I lost my two year old daughter my son and my 4 month old lost their sister and my 4 month old never got to meet her the Chaplin stayed with us the whole time even went out and brought m son a toy and a pillow out of his own money so please don’t text and drive and I’m so sorry for ur lose it’s hard and never goes away 💔💔💔

    ReplyDelete
  32. My heart goes out to you. Sadly our family knows your pain all to well. Dec 2, 2015 my nephew / Godson who i adored as a son was killed driving home from work. Tyler was less than a mile from home when he pulled out his phone and started to make a video selfie. Not paying attention his car cross over the road and hit a light post. He was killed on impact. I started distracted driving groups on fb to get his story and so many others. I would like to chat with you. My heart and prayers are with you and your family. God bless

    ReplyDelete
  33. I have read each of your comments. Thank you all for your prayers, your encouragement, and for sharing your stories as well! I pray these blogs make an impact for change!! I tried to respond to each of you individually, but my phone isn't allowing me to do that any more.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Keep up the fight! You know it is the right thing to do. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thank you for sharing, Im sorry for your loss. Your in our thoughts and prayers. Keep pressing on. Your daughter is your Angel now. God Bless you😇

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thank you for sharing, Im sorry for your loss. Your in our thoughts and prayers. Keep pressing on. Your daughter is your Angel now. God Bless you😇

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thank you for sharing, Im sorry for your loss. Your in our thoughts and prayers. Keep pressing on. Your daughter is your Angel now. God Bless you😇

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thank you for sharing, Im sorry for your loss. Your in our thoughts and prayers. Keep pressing on. Your daughter is your Angel now. God Bless you😇

    ReplyDelete
  39. Jacque,
    Can you email me please as I would like to discuss an event with you we are planning for our local high schools.
    Thank you,
    Kim Reilly
    kreilly@kanokla.com

    ReplyDelete
  40. I am so sorry for your loss... my children are only 9 and 11 years old. But I just read this to my 11 year old.. in only 4 years she'll be learning to drive,, and the more stories to help gain wisdom to be a safe driver the better. My mom once went into a ditch just for taking a sip out of a pepsi can.. so it only takes a couple seconds.. Thank you for sharing your story,, I'm so sorry for your loss..

    ReplyDelete