Friday, April 12, 2019

Safety for both my families

Randy Laflen, seated at right, and his family.
By Randy Laflen
When I was asked to write a safety blog for KDOT, the first idea that came to my mind was safety for my family; both my family at home and my work family.
I am a third generation Laflen of now what is the fourth going on fifth generation of Laflens working for Hall Brothers Inc. Like my ancestors before me, we want to go home each night to our families. When my granddad, dad and uncles were building roads in the 50s and 60s they had traffic control that worked well, but was pretty minimal. They did their best in what seemed like a safe work environment, but it was in need of much improvement.
Over the years, signs, cones and flaggers were added to the jobs. Now there are highly reflective signs, channelizers, flaggers and pilot cars. There are signs and safety devices being added each for the safety of the public and the workers. We are continuously adding safety classes, CPR classes, first aid classes, safety materials and safety apparel for our employees’ safety.
Hall Brothers Inc. has been my employer for the past 41 years. As the Vice President of Construction, I pride myself in the fact that the day after I graduated from high school, I started my career in road construction. From flagging the first week that I was employed, to learning how to operate each piece of equipment, and to becoming Vice President - I realize how important safety is in all aspects of completing each job and the need for safety in the work environment in which our workers are in every day.  The crews that we employ for the construction of new roads in Kansas are like family to me and to the company.
My own family, wife, daughter, son-in-law and grandson deserve the opportunity to drive on well-constructed roads. Like other companies, we want to make this the traveling public’s opportunity also. Making the public aware of work zones is not to inconvenience anyone or to disrupt the traveling public, but for the safety of our workers. This allows the same workers to construct and to continue to build better roadways for the future drivers and traveling families.
With spring and summer quickly approaching, Kansas road construction will soon be in full swing. As you are driving these wonderful highways, please be aware and realize these roads that have been built in the past and the new ones that are being constructed now are for you and your families. Drive safe, work safe and help keep Kansas roads safe.


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your story. Family is important to me also. My family, the KDOT family, and the families of our contractor partners that work to build and maintain our highways for the benefit of the traveling public. We all need to work together to keep everyone safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree - everyone deserves to drive on well-constructed roads, and all the workers deserve to be able to safely do their jobs to build those roads. Thanks for your commitment to transportation and safety.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this message, Randy. We all need to be reminded that traveling safely is important and it shouldn't be taken for granted. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wouldn't it be nice if we could put ALL drivers through the safety training you mention your crews attend? Let's hope the drivers that pass through highway work zones have the respect for workers that they deserve. Thanks for sharing about your families.

    ReplyDelete