Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Slow down and let’s get there

 

By Clint Shepard

Clint Shepard

This isn’t your typical work zone incident story. Our crews are the ones on the scene when an incident happens to help with traffic control and keep things moving safely through the area. But the same rules of slowing down and paying attention in a work zone apply to an incident area.

 Last July I was doing traffic control just north of El Dorado Lake for an accident that had happened earlier. It had been raining all day so there was a lot of moisture still on the road.

 I had been there for about 15 minutes when a kid who had cruise control on hydroplaned as he approached me. Because we were on a curve, I don’t think he saw me until the last second which caused him to crank his wheel and spin out. As he spun, his passenger side hit my back passenger side bumper practically ripping the side of his car off.

 After we made contact, his car went into the ditch. But because his cruise control was still on and he was unconscious, he came back up on the road and hit the barrier wall, which finally stopped him.

 He was incredibly lucky it happened the way it did. Lucky he was the only one in the car. Lucky his airbags deployed.  Lucky he was able to walk away from two collisions with only a concussion when nothing was there to protect him when he hit the barrier wall.

Driver's vehicle
I feel lucky too. I was only thrown into the steering wheel of my truck and had some back pain. Had he hit me square in the back of my truck, he probably wouldn’t be here, and it could have been worse for me too.

When he came to a stop, I got out to check on him and a lady came running up who happened to be a nurse. She was able to stay with him while I began traffic control again to keep oncoming traffic moving through the area. It was definitely a right place at the right time moment.

With my truck wrecked on the outside shoulder, his car against the barrier wall and being on a curve, it was really important to keep traffic moving carefully through the area, especially since I didn’t have my typical lights to alert approaching drivers. It was a dangerous situation until a trooper was able to arrive and assist with his lights.

Shepard's truck
The reports later stated that based on the skids, he was probably going around 80 miles per hour. When you’re going that fast, things can happen in an instant. One curve can change everything. 

This incident isn’t as unique as it may seem. Our guys talk all the time about how people aren’t paying attention to the road, whether we’re shutting down lanes for road work or working an incident like this. People are more focused on filming an incident or what’s on their phone than slowing down and driving safely. We’re out here risking our lives and don’t want to get hit or work an incident you were involved in.

People overestimate their ability to multitask while driving – whether it’s in weather conditions, a work zone or even on a normal day. I don’t know when the last time I truly saw people’s eyes instead of the back of their phone. My biggest message to drivers is to just pay attention and use good judgement. We all want to get home. So slow down and let’s get there.

 

Clint Shepard is the Highway Maintenance Foreman for the Kansas Turnpike in Cassoday.

 

6 comments:

  1. It gives me chills to think of the drivers who'd rather look at their phone than look out for the live person right in front of them. When you're driving, just drive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those photos give me chills! It's incredible that Clint and the driver of the vehicle didn't have more serious injuries. Great reminder to never use cruise control in rainy conditions and take it slow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your story. We must all do our part to help keep roadway workers safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good grief, that is crazy. And the sad part is when you said this isn't a unique incident. Just thankful everyone is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Regardless if you're coming up on a work zone or a crash, everyone needs to remember to SLOW DOWN and MOVE OVER for emergency and highway workers! Clint (and the driver) are lucky this was not as serious as it could have been. It's time for folks to put down their phones, pay attention and just drive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Angels were working overtime to protect both of you that day. Thank God you returned home to your family and friends. Thank you for the dangerous, but necessary job you do to keep us all safe, and the passion with which you do it. I totally understand those in your life who fear for your safety. When I see you workers in orange, your vehicles, signs, and the orange cones I pray people slow down and pay attention remembering danger for all lays ahead. Lives depend on safety.

    ReplyDelete