Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Being a good driver doesn't always matter


Logan O'Dea
I always thought of myself as a good driver; I recently found out that doesn’t always matter.
My name is Logan O’Dea; I graduated from Kansas State in December. I played football for five years while there, so I figured that I could handle whatever the real world threw at me. That was before my first wreck.
It was early summer. I had just started my first job a couple of months prior, one that required me to commute from Topeka to Kansas City. The drive on Kansas Turnpike was one I was very used to at that point. It had rained hard the night before, but by that morning it had calmed to a light drizzle. I had never had any problem with rain while driving, so I didn’t pay it much mind. It had been pounded into my head by my KDOT aunt never to use cruise control while the roads are wet, but I still drove at my normal speed.
Just east of Lawrence, next to a rest stop, I changed to the left lane to pass a car. That was the point when I hit the standing water. I immediately lost control; my tires had no traction, so steering and brakes could do nothing as my car went off the road. As soon as I was off the road, I looked up and saw trees and thought, “I’m not going to miss those.” The weight of my engine caused my car to pivot 180 degrees, so now I was going backwards, which ended up saving my life. I collided with one of the trees, probably still going faster than 70 mph.
Logan's vehicle after the crash.
Miraculously, I walked away. A visit to the hospital following showed no injuries whatsoever besides soreness and a few scrapes. I know the biggest reason I walked away was I was wearing my seat belt (another thing my aunt always made sure I did); if I hadn’t been, my body would have been with the back-window glass they found flung 50 feet away from the car.
Looking back, I marvel at all the ways I was lucky that day. If the collision had happened anywhere but the rear of the car, I wouldn’t be here. The fact that there was level ground next to the road rather than a drop off also saved me. When I saw the wreckage that night, the rear tire was now pushing the driver’s side seat forward; I was told if the tire had gone any farther forward, both my legs would have shattered.
Through the ordeal and all the things that have followed, I always try to remember how lucky I am to be alive, let alone walking around. I know I have taken a few lessons from this, and I hope that others might as well. It doesn’t matter how good you think you are at driving, something can always happen. Hydroplaning is a very real danger.
And most importantly always wear your seat belt.



10 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your story. I don't think I'm ever cautious enough in the rain, and probably most of us are not. My heart jumped as I read your story and saw the wreckage. I cannot imagine what you and your family went through when you saw your car following the accident. Thank you for sharing the dangers of hydroplaning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am Logan's KDOT aunt. Do I talk (nag) about roadway safety and wearing your seat belt too much? My family members would probably say yes. But, after seeing Logan's car and knowing that he was not injured in the wreck that caused all that vehicle damage, my family is just going to have to put up with me talking about roadway safety. All of you reading this blog and comment, please do the same. Share with your family and friends the need for roadway safety, and to always wear your seatbelt. Someday you may be grateful that you did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your story, Logan. I'm glad you were buckled in and weren't seriously hurt. I work with your Aunt Gelene and I listen to everything she says, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too preach to my family about the importance of buckling up, as that is what saved my son when he rolled the truck he was driving. Thank you for sharing your story & for listening to your Aunt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From the time that my kids were old enough to listen, I stressed the importance of wearing seatbelts. So much so that when they were small, they believed that the car wouldn't start unless everyone's belt was fastened. To this day, at ages 31 and 34, they still fasten their seatbelts before they ever start their vehicle. Thank you for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your story just reinforces something I tell my husband and family members...it doesn't matter how good of a driver you are, something can ALWAYS happen! You can bet I'll be sharing this with them. #EMAW

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am Logan's mom. I was the one who got the call at 6:30 in the morning. At least it was HIS voice I was hearing, so I knew he had to be able to talk. It wasn't until much later that night when I saw the pictures of the car and heard the details of the crash from my sister (Aunt Gelene) that I realized how close I had come to losing him. When I saw the pictures of the wreck, my heart fell to my stomach. I am eternally grateful it was "hammered" into him to always wear his seatbelt. He is a walking, talking, thinking perfect example of "seat belts do save lives".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing the other side, the one who receives the call. SO GLAD you heard Logan's voice first, very comforting.

      Delete
  8. Thank you Logan for sharing your story. My family received a similar call and we weren't as lucky as your family as my brother died in his accident. Your Aunt Gelene nags because she loves you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, I am Logan's other aunt. I remember getting the text,or an e-mail, the morning of the accident from my sister that Logan was in a accident. She said he is fine just a little shook up. My thought was, " must have just been a fender bender". Thanked the Lord he was okay and proceed with my day. Later on, when I saw the pictures of his car, I immediately started to have tears. It struck me how lucky we are to still have him and thankful that he listens to his Aunt Genie on wearing seatbelts! Seatbelts save lives!

    ReplyDelete