Friday, September 22, 2017

Do you drive with the idea that people’s lives are at risk?


By Anthony Cruz
Whether you consider yourself a safe driver or you know that you’re driving could use some improvement, it always comes down to making a personal choice. We all make choices with our driving and each choice has positive and negative results.
Anthony Cruz
As a defensive driving instructor, I have the opportunity to meet hundreds of people who share their daily driving experiences, frustrations and bad habits.  When asked, most know National Safety Council’s six most unsafe driving behaviors that cause or contribute to fatal collisions.
  1. Improper speed
  2. Violating right of way
  3. Driving left of center
  4. Turning improperly
  5. Passing improperly
  6. Following too closely
Yet, many have the illusion of control and they overestimate their ability to control events. So they send out that text or have that one drink, believing bad things only happen to other people.  What I have learned is the majority of those who attend my defensive driving class are willing to hear about ways to avoid collisions, eager to adopt change and willing to create personal policies with their driving behaviors regarding texting and driving or driving without a seat belt.  However, there is that percentage of people who think they will be the only one affected if they are killed in an accident and feel that using personal protective devices and speeding is their choice, and making the choice should be left up to the individual and not the government. 
People think they will be the only affected if they are killed in an accident. I really wish this were true, but sadly it’s not. Part of my job duties include monitoring radio traffic at the law enforcement center, so I hear first-hand the number of resources that are used during an accident. It can be quite expensive and that is only the financial part of the equation. The emotional toll it takes on families can be lifelong. The first questions I ask before I start each class and the questions we should always ask ourselves when we get behind the wheel are:

  • How would my family be affected if I were killed or injured in a traffic collision?
  • What if one of the important people in my life were killed or injured in a traffic collision?
  • What if the accident was preventable?
If you answer these questions honestly, you will realize it’s not just about you.  Driving is a full-time job and needs your full attention, because your life and the life of those you love depend on it. 
Anthony Cruz has been with Finney County Emergency Management for three years, and is a Kansas Certified Emergency Manager.  He has been teaching defensive driving three years, twice a month and issued more than 400 certificates.  



 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Anthony for sharing that perspective. I agree that there should be more emphasis on driver responsibility. Their actions can have major consequences, not just for them but for everyone else on the road. Drive like your life depends on it, because it does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every point you make is spot on. I tend to think quite often that I myself am a pretty good driver. But if I really think about it, I do tend to speed a little bit over the speed limit and follow too closely. I do put my phone away so it's not tempting to look at and I always wear my seat belt. Thank you for taking the time to write the blog. You definitely make people think about their driving habits and what can be improved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Glad to hear you made a personal policy to put your phone away and wearing your seat belt. Best wishes

      Anthony

      Delete