Thursday, September 28, 2017

Dedication


By Cindy Landgraf
Cindy Landgraf
If I had to choose one word to describe Jeff it would be dedication. Like most people, he was dedicated to his family, his friends, and his job. But for Jeff it was much more. As an EMT, he chose a career that was dedicated to taking care of others no matter what the cost. And like most EMTs, his co-workers were his family. They shared life-changing experiences every day. Experiences that can only be understood by others dealing with the same type of experiences every day. Experiences that bound them together like a family.
Jeff became an EMT in 1988 and went on to become a paramedic and a registered nurse. He had a passion for emergency response services - whether it was working as a paramedic and shift supervisor for Finney County EMS or an RN/Paramedic for EagleMed. But serving the community wasn’t enough. He wanted to help others interested in becoming EMTs, so he became an instructor certified to teach every aspect of EMS.  He especially enjoyed teaching EMT classes and mentoring others as they joined the emergency responder ranks.
On April 18, 2011, his EMS brother in Scott County needed help teaching a class.  Jeff happily answered the call, especially delighted because it was a fairly warm night for April so he was able to ride his motorcycle to Scott City.
At 10:30 p.m. that night, my daughter woke me up worried that Jeff wasn’t home yet.  She had seen on Facebook that Highway 83 was closed due to a traffic accident. I didn’t think anything about it. Jeff was teaching, taking as long as needed to help the students and the instructor.  After all, he was the one that saved lives.
With that thought still in my head, I heard a knock at my front door. There at my front door was a high school friend who is also the Captain of the KHP. I heard the words but didn’t understand. There was an accident. Jeff was gone. Nothing could be done to save him. Save him…. isn’t that what his EMS family was supposed to do – save him? Wasn’t that what he was teaching them to do? When I finally got some of my mind back, I looked up. There on my lawn stood almost the entire staff of the Finney County EMS, our EMS family, ready and waiting to support me and the children in our most difficult time.
Over the next few days, the details of the accident came clear. Jeff was headed home (south on Highway 83). Just outside of the Scott City limits, a pickup driver, thinking he had time to make the turn, turned onto Highway 83 in front of Jeff causing him to lay the motorcycle over. A few minutes later, a car failed to stop or even yield right of way to the pedestrian trying to wave him down. They continued through the accident scene hitting Jeff.
Jeff left behind a teenage daughter, young son, parents, brother, his extended family and a large emergency response family. In Jeff’s honor, we are all “boldly going forward."
Our daughter and I have both become EMTs.  Our son is like his father-  he loves to hunt, shoot and enjoy the outdoors. He is old enough to drive this year, and as a mom, a widow and an EMT, I remind him daily to be extra careful. 
Be aware of your surroundings, and if in doubt stop or slow down. It’s always better to arrive late than never.  

Cindy Landgraf is an EMT for both Lane and Scott County EMS.

 

 

5 comments:

  1. As I read this I kept reading the word, "Was" and my heart just dropped. I'm so sorry for your loss, Cindy. You husband was a hero and he inspired others, including you and your daughter to be heroes as well. Jeff must be so proud of you!

    Thank you for sharing your story I hope every driver who reads this can pass it on to others to slow down and pay attention. So many lives are depending on us to drive safely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a tragedy, I'm so sorry for your loss. But what a wonderful way to honor your husband in that you and your daughter are continuing his tradition of dedication to helping others. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your story. Such a tragedy and I'm so sorry your family had to go through this. The message I take away from this is to slow down and pay attention. It could have been avoided.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank You for talking about your love for Jeff and his love for his family and others. Being a widow myself I know that Jeff is not gone from your life. He is in your memories and your heart and also the knowing that you will see him again. Hugs go out to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cindy,
    I remember Jeff in high school. He did a demonstration on something to do with being an eagle scout. I'm sure it was for speech class, and I remember how natural he seemed to be in front of everyone, so I'm not surprised he loved to teach others. I'm glad you and your daughter are carrying on his legacy of helping others.

    ReplyDelete