Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Johnson County Gateway project celebrates dual milestones

A bird's eye view of the two new-lane flyover ramps serving eastbound I-435 to northbound I-35 and westbound I-435 to southbound I-35.

Kansas Department of Transportation Secretary Mike King, along with local city, county and state officials, celebrated the completion of two key milestones today in the mega Johnson County Gateway project.
With two new two-lane flyover ramps serving eastbound I-435 to northbound I-35 and westbound I-435 to southbound I-35 traffic in Lenexa serving as the backdrop, Secretary King, Gateway Interchange Constructors’ Bill Clarkson, KDOT Project Director Paul Gripka, along with local city, county and state officials, cut the ribbon to mark the completion of these ramps.
“When we plan projects, we want to address issues of safety, congestion, preservation and expansion of the highway system. This project accomplishes all of that,” said Kansas Transportation Secretary Mike King.
The westbound I-35 to southbound I-35 flyover ramp opened to one lane of traffic on Thursday, April 28, and the eastbound I-435 to northbound I-35 flyover ramp is scheduled to open to one lane of traffic on Wednesday, May 11, weather permitting. Both of these ramps will carry two lanes of traffic when all adjacent project work is completed later this year.
Transportation Secretary Mike King, left, Project Director Paul Gripka and Gateway Interchange Constructor's Bill Clarkson all spoke at Monday's event.

More than 230,000 vehicles use the I-435/I-35/K-10 interchange and that number is estimated to grow to 380,000 by 2040. This traffic volume, along with economic development potential, declining infrastructure and roadway safety concerns, are among the key reasons for much needed improvements in the interchange area.
Gateway Interchange Constructors is the design-build team that is completing the project’s Phase 2 construction work. GIC is a joint venture led by Kansas City, Mo.-based Clarkson Construction Co., which has partnered with Kiewit Infrastructure Co. Additional key members of the team include local design firms HDR Engineering, Inc. and George Butler Associates, Inc.
The $288 million, three-year Gateway project is the state’s first major design-build project. Construction on Phase 2 is scheduled to be substantially complete by December 31, 2016.
For more information, visit the project website: www.jocogateway.com
KDOT and Jo Co Gateway staff along with city, county and state dignitaries officially cut the ribbon opening for the two new flyover ramps.

No comments:

Post a Comment