Wednesday, April 17, 2019

It takes a brave person to do what they do: Move over for highway workers, law enforcement and emergency responders


By Ashley Tammen, 
North Central Kansas Public Affairs Manager

Earlier this week I had the privilege of going on a ride-along with Trooper Ben Gardner from the Kansas Highway Patrol. I was able to witness what highway workers, law enforcement and emergency personnel face every day while performing their job duties along the highways. I will say without hesitation - it takes a brave person to do what they do.

KHP Trooper Ben Gardner stops a motorist along
the side of the road. 
During our ride-along, Trooper Ben pulled over one motorist for speeding, but when he did, he stood only a few feet away from traveling vehicles. I witnessed a large tractor trailer fly by his left side on the Interstate as he was talking to the motorist through the driver’s side window. The semi must have been traveling at least 70 miles per hour and it did not slow down.

I could tell by Trooper Ben’s reaction that he has experienced this several times and was used to vehicles not moving over. When I told Trooper Ben that I couldn’t believe how close the semi was to him he just shrugged and said, “Yeah, I know.” He then got back in his patrol vehicle, buckled up and went on with his day.

Watching the semi skim by him was a scary feeling for me to watch. I can’t even begin to imagine what our troopers are feeling when they feel the momentum of a vehicle right next to them.

Last week was National Work Zone Awareness Week and numerous transportation-related agencies worked together to help raise awareness of the need for safety for those working along the highways. It was a focused time to promote work zone safety, but it needs to be a priority for motorists all year long. I saw firsthand what all the people who work along the highways see all too frequently – lives are on the line in work zones.

I stress and urge motorists to move over when they see a trooper or anyone on the side of the road. If you can’t get over right away, be patient and slow down so you can get over safely. Do your part while driving to keep our troopers safe because they work to keep us safe.


No comments:

Post a Comment