Wednesday, October 2, 2019

The helmet cracked, but the skull didn’t


Don Drickey (left) and his wife Jeanne.
By Don Drickey
After retirement from the KDOT Salina District office, my wife, Jeanne, and I moved to Dumas, Texas, to help with her mother-in–law who lived in the Oklahoma panhandle. I worked for the Texas Department of Transportation for a couple of years and retired again.
One of the things that was good about living in the flat plains of the Texas Panhandle was the availability of good bicycle routes to ride with good, wide shoulders to avoid oil field traffic. 
Jeanne and I came back and completed the Bike Across Kansas for five years in a row from 2010-2014. In order to keep in shape for the next year’s ride, it was necessary to ride occasionally during the off-season.  
One fine Dec. 17, 2010, we decided to ride a quick 16-mile route out and back into Dumas. The route passed by a farm where I had been playing “tag” with the farmer’s dog.  I would increase my speed as we passed by the farm and I was probably doing 18-20 mph as he lay in wait in the roadside ditch. He would run alongside of me, never crossing in front. This day he decided to change tactics.
I remember thinking, “oh crap,” or something similar as he crossed in front of me.
I flipped over the handlebars and impacted the pavement headfirst. Jeanne was behind me and narrowly avoided the pileup.
I rolled over, sat up and tried to assess the damage. Arms, legs, hips and ribs seemed intact. I found that I could not stand upright, as the pain was too great. By this time, a son of a Dumas acquaintance had stopped and offered assistance and took us to the local hospital emergency room.  X-rays showed that I had a broken pelvis and a separated shoulder. Of course, there was lots of pavement rash on knees, elbows, chin, etc. 
My bike helmet was cracked and there was no doubt that the injuries could have resulted in a skull fracture or worse. My expensive bike and the dog were fine!
After a couple of nights spent the hospital checking for brain injury and a period of healing and rehab on my hip and shoulder, we were back riding after six weeks.
Lesson here: Never get on your bicycle without a good helmet, even for a ride around the block.

Don Drickey retired as the KDOT north central District Engineer in 2007.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this story, Don. Whether you are a beginner or expert cyclist it is important to always wear proper safety gear. Helmets can literally save people from serious harm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great illustration of how the unexpected can suddenly cross our paths, and why a helmet makes a difference. Let's protect ourselves and our children. Helmets save!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Don for your endorsement of wearing a helmet while cycling. I will not get on my bike without wearing a helmet, and am quite sure that I would have had more serious head injuries if I had not been wearing a helmet when a car hit me from behind in 2014, as my helmet also got cracked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your story with us! As someone who has been struck by a car while riding a bike, I can definitely say that you should always be prepared for the unexpected. Thank you for sharing this with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes, thanks for sharing your story and glad you are OK.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG...The TransAm riders always talk about dogs on the route especially in Kentucky but they are usually being chased not trying to cross in front. Thank goodness you were wearing a helmet and were able to heal!

    Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing your story Don!! As a brain injury survivor I am a HUGE supporter of helmets and unfortunately when I was in Madonna Rehabilitation Hospital for my recovery I witnessed the damage when helmets were not worn. Helmets make a huge difference and save lives! Thank you for wearing your helmet!!

    ReplyDelete