Friday, September 24, 2021

Motorcycle safety has increased, but so have the dangers

 By Mike Bright

Becky and Mike Bright

It is hard to believe it has been eight years since I wrote my first post on motorcycle safety. In many ways riding has become safer, and in some ways, it has become more dangerous. It is safer today because of technological advances on the motorcycle. Today’s modern bike is generally equipped with antilock brakes, traction control and most have robust LED lighting. But it is more hazardous in other regards.

Eight years ago, the automobile driver with a cell phone in hand was statistically as dangerous as an impaired driver. That has not changed. But as more technology makes its way into the cabin of the car, the distractions grow! How many people have, what amounts to a tablet, imbedded in the dash of their vehicle? And yes, the cell phone still reigns supreme. I have personally pulled alongside a car on the freeway, at 70 mph and watched them drive with a knee while looking down at their device.

On two-lane roads, I have followed vehicles that veer back and forth across the roadway. I’m fearful to pass as I don’t know exactly what they will do. For these reasons I have become an advocate of centerline rumble strips.

In my last blog, I wrote about a frightening experience my wife and I had on a rainy night in Kansas City. I wish I could say it was the last one, but it was not. However, we remain vigilant riders and keep alert for errant vehicles. We have taken steps to make ourselves more visible. We continue to wear apparel with reflective markings. Our bikes are equipped with reflective material on the back and sides. We also continue to ride defensively. I want to encourage my fellow riders to do the same.

I want to encourage my fellow riders to consider your side approaches. Modern motorcycles have good lights to the front and reasonable taillights. However, most motorcycles have no side lighting. A vehicle approaching you from the side, at night, really cannot see you until perhaps it’s too late. We have added reflective material to the sides of our bikes as well as our helmets.

Do you wear a helmet? This is an issue that I have grown into. Many years ago, I was the first to say, “I don’t need your silly helmet!” Today, I have attended enough funerals. I have also had mishaps that, had I not been wearing a helmet, my head would have been laid open. You may not want to spend $500 or $600 on a helmet, but your brain, your life, is worth at least $100 to $200. You can buy a good helmet for that price.

The fact is, you may be an excellent rider, but that will not matter when you have a close encounter with an errant motorist.

Be safe and enjoy the ride!

 Mike Bright works for KDOT in Chanute

Read Mike’s previous blog here

 

 

9 comments:

  1. Well done, Mike! Thanks for this fine post and your ongoing efforts to advance motorcycle safety.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike, as an experienced motorcycle rider your input and suggestions are invaluable. Plus your helmet recommendation is priceless, and should be heeded by all. May you and Becky continue to have safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Written Mike. Many more safe travels for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Mike, for helping us to think about the stakes. It helps remind me that I need to carefully watch for motorcycles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris Bortz, KDOT Transportation SafetySeptember 24, 2021 at 9:22 AM

    Thank you Mike for your comments and emphasis on defensive riding and defensive driving. Everyone shares the responsibility in reducing crashes. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Blog Mike! Distracted driving by others when riding a motorcycle puts you at risk. I too have seen crazy things while riding that reinforce the need to wear a helmet and to remain alert. Mistakes are unforgiving when riding; whether it is your mistake or another driver. Driving defensively and wearing our safety gear can help us continue doing the things we love for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Back in the early days I had a Honda 350 and I can attest to the value of wearing a helmet while riding.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing such important information! My husband and I used to ride with CMA and I witnessed a motorcycle accident. So scary!!! Defensive driving is so important!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank for your story, Mike! It's so scary to see all the distractions out there. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete