Tuesday, September 28, 2021

You just have to breathe through the pain

By Jacque Tierce

Danielle Tierce
 Sleepless nights, severe anxiety attacks, uncontrollable crying, deep depression, high blood pressure, nightmares, replaying the past, and daydreaming of what the future could have been are a glimpse at living through the loss of a loved one. Birthdays, holidays, new births, weddings, first days of school, and such are all constant reminders, she’s not here and never will be again. Sometimes you just have to breathe through the pain. A pain that will be there for the rest of your life.

On May 26, 2018, my beautiful daughter, Danielle, made a decision that not only took her life, but flipped life upside down for her entire family and so many friends. She was texting on Snapchat while driving down the highway at 65 mph, didn’t see a semi in front of her that slowed to make a turn, and slammed into the back of it without braking. Thankfully she did not have her 3-year-old son with her and thankfully nobody else was injured, physically anyway.

“I miss my mommy,” her son tells me. Me too buddy, me too. “My mommy had an accident right here,” he says as we drive by the dreaded oil-stained spot on the highway. She has already missed his first day of school, several birthdays, first experience playing baseball, school programs, and countless other events with so many yet to come. All moments Danielle would have been glowing over. Her son was her life. Those opportunities are gone for both Danielle and her son now because of a Snapchat that just couldn’t wait. Now we spend our time trying to keep her memory alive for him, telling “mommy stories,” and breathing through the pain.

I spent the remainder of 2018, all of 2019, and the beginning of 2020 (until COVID hit) traveling around to different schools in Kansas and Oklahoma telling our story. At my side was Shiane Wondra. Shiane’s story is exactly the same as Danielle’s, except Shiane lived through it. “Is it a risk you are willing to take?” - we would ask the students. I would leave each presentation and drive home bawling the entire way, sleep for hours afterwards, and pray we made an impact on at least one! If we can save just one family from going through this pain, it’s worth it.

What is distracted driving? One might think, it’s a text message. While texting and driving is one form of distraction, it’s not the only form. Being distracted is defined by the Merriam-Webster dictionary as, “having one’s thoughts or attention drawn away.” Therefore, anything that takes your eyes or mind off of the road is a distraction.

I cannot tell you the number of live videos, pictures being taken, phone calls being made, or people scrambling around to find something in their car while driving. I STILL have friends that do these things. It’s heartbreaking. Some people just will not get it until they go through it. It can change your entire life, or the life of another, in a matter of seconds.

On our Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/doit4danielle/, is my original blog and countless stories of tragedies such as ours. Help spread the word! Help save a life! No matter what your age is, be the example. Make a commitment today to put your phone down while driving. Meanwhile, I will continue to share our story and breathe through the pain.

 

Jacque Tierce, a grieving mom

Link to Jacque's previous blog here

 


8 comments:

  1. Jacque... There are no words. We cannot share your lingering pain, but we can make a difference in how we drive and how we teach our children to drive. You are to be commended for delivering such an important message.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your story. I hope those who hear it choose to be the example.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris Bortz, KDOT Transportation SafetySeptember 28, 2021 at 8:56 AM

    I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your story and all of the countless hours you have spent trying to get drivers to make better decisions behind the wheel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It just makes me so sad to think of that little guy growing up without a mom. Thankfully he has you. Sharing your story will hopefully open a lot of eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jacque, thank you for continuing to tell your sad but extremely impactful story. Like you said, if it helps one person keep from picking up that phone while they're driving and avoiding the experience your family has had, it is worth it. Keeping Danielle's memory and your story alive is important and meaningful. Very sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jacque, thank you so much for speaking up in a way that will help others. As a fellow parent, I can only start to imagine your pain. I hope everyone hears and reads your story. I wish for all the peace and comfort you can find.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is true inspiration. Wonderful, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I went on a road trip a few years ago with a man I had been dating. We went from to Topeka to San Antonio. The entire drive he was going at least 10 mph over the speed limit, driving with his knees, scrolling through Facebook,texting and taking phone calls. I was filled with anxiety and told him many times,which he ignored my feelings. The return drive was exactly the same. Thankfully we didn't have an accident however after he dropped me home I immediately stopped seeing him and told him why,he said I was over reacting. My life matters just as much as his. Thank you for your story,I pray to God it makes others put their phones away while driving.

    ReplyDelete