Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Avoiding potentially tragic situations


By Carter Smith
Carter Smith
I’ve only been working at the Turnpike for a year now, and in that short period of time, I’ve already been hit by a driver once and had three other close calls. In just one year. When I was struck, it was the first time I was snow plowing by myself. I had finished half a pass of plowing when a brand-new SUV hit my rear right tire and bumper. The person behind the wheel was driving well above what they should have been in the wintry, low visibility conditions, and was definitely not paying attention. It’s lucky they weren’t hurt, but the SUV was totaled.
Plus, it’s not just on the Turnpike where I see the consequences of bad decision while driving. I’ve been a volunteer fire fighter for four years now, and I’ve had to work my fair share of major crashes, including the fatality ones. I’ve seen people not wearing their seat belt and ejected from the vehicle. I’ve seen wrecks with teenagers as a result from drug and/or alcohol impairment. When you see a wreck that kills a 19-year-old that was clearly from distracted or impaired driving, it sticks with you. I mean, there were no skid marks that even suggested she tried braking.
Those really hit home since I have a 17-year-old sister. One of my first thoughts during those types of wrecks is, “What if it had been her?”
It feels really good to help other people. I like to think it makes a difference. But ultimately, people have become so distracted on the road, or make a stupid decision to drink and drive or not wear a seat belt. It’s simple actions we can do to avoid a potentially tragic situation, so please, drive smart.

Carter Smith is an Equipment Operator for the Kansas Turnpike Authority and also a volunteer fire fighter.

5 comments:

  1. Carter, I am so glad that you are okay after being hit by an SUV while plowing the roads. People need to understand that when our highway workers are out plowing and working on road construction, they are literally super heroes who are keeping our roads safe.

    I think everyone should always consider the "What if" scenarios before they get behind the wheel. Before they pull their phone out to text and drive, I wish they would consider the danger they are putting themselves and others in.

    Stupid decisions can end lives and it's so sad.

    Thank you for all your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carter - thanks for your words of wisdom and just good common sense. My sister worked for KDOT for many years. She told very frightening stories about different close call situations. Please stay safe and thanks for all your work to keep our roads safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "In just one year." It was that phrase that hit home for me. I cannot believe that you have already been hit by a driver once and have had three other close calls! People should not be fearful of starting a job and in the first year be endangered like that. Thank you for sharing your story and for helping make people be aware.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What you really need to watch out for are farming equipment on rural highways this harvest season and also the constant flow of wind turbine parts moving their wide loads.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank your for your dedication to helping people. And a huge thanks for keeping our highways clear for us. Great job!

    ReplyDelete