Monday, September 25, 2017

I was lucky


By Ciro Chavez
As an EMT and a KDOT employee, I’m usually the one providing care and assistance to others. I never thought there would be a time that I would be calling 911.
Ciro Chavez
As I traveled home in the early hours on a foggy December morning, I was surprised by a Toyota Corolla that crossed the center line and crashed head-on into my ‘97 Ford pick-up. 
After being transported to St. Catherine Hospital in Garden City, I was air lifted to a Denver area hospital. I was in an induced coma for 10 days. During this time, I had three facial surgeries and one extensive leg surgery. After two and a half weeks, I moved to a rehab center and was there until Feb. 8. Once I came home, I continued physical therapy until May of this year. 
After five months of recovery, I was finally able to return to my job as an Equipment Operator at KDOT, and it was good to be back.  At this time, I’m not able to return to my part-time position as an EMT due to my leg injury.
I was lucky. I was wearing my seat belt and it saved my life. When you get in the car, I want you and your families to remember me and remember to buckle up. It’s what saved my life and it can save yours. 
And if it starts to get foggy, pull over and wait it out. It’s better to be safe than sorry. 

Ciro Chavez began with KDOT as an Equipment Operator Trainee at the Lakin Subarea in southwest Kansas in October 2015.


4 comments:

  1. Ciro,
    Thanks for sharing your story. It sounds like you are well on your way to recovery, and I'm thankful for that! And you are absolutely right - seat belts CAN save lives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your experience - Definitely a good reminder about the importance of wearing seat belts. Glad you're recovering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As we drive our vehicles, we take for granted that all drivers are paying attention and driving safe. This certainly wasn't the case for you that December foggy morning. I am so glad that you are alive and getting better. By sharing this personal story, let's hope all readers share what happened to you with their families and others to make them aware that they should never take other drivers' habits for granted.
    Larry Emig

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are still here to share your story! Best wishes in your continued recovery.

    ReplyDelete