Monday, October 9, 2023

Every parent's nightmare is to outlive their child

 By Todd Linder

March 13, 2023, I lost my 16-year-old Cassandra Kay Linder in an automotive crash in Garden City. My daughter’s car was struck head-on by a commercial truck that swerved into her lane. At 4:45 p.m., I received a call from a deputy sheriff who told me that Cassy had been in a bad car crash and that she was alive but hurt very badly and that I needed to rush to the hospital.

I rushed out of UniFirst and into my car and drove and prayed all the way to the hospital. When I arrived, some nurses had come out and said she was alive, and the doctors were doing everything they could to help her. In the minutes that followed, other family members and friends started showing up. After 15 minutes, two doctors and two nurses emerged from the ER, and I knew what they were about to tell me. The feeling of hurt and sadness can’t be described in words.

After a sleepless night, the Kansas Highway Patrol called me and asked if they could come to our home and provide us with some of the details of the crash. When he arrived, he told us the CMV had been equipped with an onboard camera and with tears in his eyes he said he watched the entire crash happen on video. 

The officer told us Cassy did nothing wrong and that the CMV driver was at fault for the collision. The investigation is still not finalized, but the officer told us that the other driver was distracted at the time of the crash and likely fatigued. I knew in my heart that she had done things correctly from the beginning, the way she was taught.

The immense pain and loss our family feels are indescribable, and I share this grief-filled journey not for sympathy, but to shed light on a crucial issue: the importance of road safety, especially concerning commercial truck drivers. In a world of constant connectivity, the line between professional and personal life is often blurred, especially for commercial drivers. The pressure to meet tight deadlines, long hours on the road and lure of smartphone notifications can easily lead to distractions. But what many might brush off as a mere second of inattention can lead to irreversible tragedies.

A little bit about Cassandra, she was born September 29, 2006, in Lakin, Kansas. Cassandra loved to read, she had excellent grades/attendance in school and was active in Stucco, Halo, dance and loved being a manager for track and basketball. She was popular in school because she was real. She was also a gymnastics coach for the Gymnastics Center where she worked part time after school and during the summer last year. She loved her job. She also loved listening to music and especially Taylor Swift. For Christmas this year, I purchased her a ticket to go to the Taylor Swift Concert in July. She unfortunately did not get to go physically but was there spiritually with her two older sisters. I often describe Cassy as headstrong, caring and a responsible young adult who had the willingness and drive to be successful later in life. 

I was always taught to make the best of any situation, in this case a horrible situation. I have started reading about distracted driving and have become an advocate on the dangers, this has helped me through my grieving process, and helped me keep Cassy’s name alive. Her friends from high school have made signs and posts on social media, and we have visited the Sheriff’s office, EMS and Highway Patrol.

Cassandra was always fond of the sunflower; her vault was covered with sunflowers painted all over it. So, we have made the sunflower emoji the reminder to not drive distracted. When going out to eat, we leave memorial cards at the restaurants with reminders to not drive distracted. We have had a flag made up that we use at local car shows that also reminds others that distracted driving kills.  Her friends and I have also done a news spot about our campaign. We plan to give out cards and decals that have a sunflower as a reminder to not drive distracted. 

The Kansas Department of Transportation also declared the highway where Cassandra lost her life as a Safety Corridor and warns of increased enforcement. The sad thing is when they announced the program many people just didn’t get it, it was ridiculed as a wasteful project of tax dollars. Many said it was just a program to give out more tickets, and others said it’s a violation of their rights. It’s sad to read these comments and in a way, angers me. In my opinion if the signs save just one life, then it all is worth it. I am sure that if the roles were reversed and it was the ridiculer’s child, they would think differently about the Safety Corridors. 

Every parent’s nightmare is to outlive their child. The pain is unimaginable, yet it is a reality for too many families. I urge all drivers, especially those operating large vehicles, to understand the weight of responsibility on their shoulders. Each time you’re behind the wheel, it’s not just about getting from point A to point B, it’s about safeguarding your life and the lives of others on the road.

Please, let’s unite in our commitment to road safety. Please, please, Don’t Drive Distracted.

Thanks for reading Cassy’s story.

Todd Linder

“Father of an Angel”


42 comments:

  1. So sorry for your loss Mr. Linder. Whether your trip is just a few blocks away or a 15 to 20 minute drive you take every day, all drivers must eliminate distractions behind the wheel. While it won't bring your daughter back, I truly appreciate your efforts to reduce death and injury on our roads so no father, mother or friend has to endure this type of tragedy. Chris Bortz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind words. 🌻

      Delete
  2. Todd: I am grieving with you as I read Cassy's story. Her young life came to an end in such a tragic and random way. Thanks for sharing and for all you are doing to keep the message 'Don't Drive Distracted' front and center. - Priscilla Petersen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind words

      Delete
  3. Thank you, Todd, for the courage to share Cassy's story. Very sad and tragic... and yet it's a powerful reminder that we as drivers need to be alert at all times. Special thoughts of you and family knowing the pain and tragedy you endure. Steve Hale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your encouraging words. 🌻

      Delete
  4. I am so sorry for the loss of your child. I can't imagine your pain and suffering as this is the biggest fear of mine. I've buried the father of my daughter when I was 17 years old and watched my friends bury their newborn baby. I can't imagine having to mourn my own child. I don't know how I could mentally, emotionally, or even physically do it. I pray for the strength you have to uphold on your journey to keep Cassy's name alive and advocate for safer roads and highways for all of us. Bless your heart and soul Todd🫢🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind words. 🌻

      Delete
  5. My heart goes out to you Mr. Linder, I am so sorry for the loss of your daughter. Having a teenager myself, this is my biggest fear. Thank you for sharing Cassy's story and all you are doing to educate others of the importance of ditching the distractions and the importance of driving alert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Ashley for your kind words 🌻

      Delete
  6. We almost lost our son a year and a half ago, 2 of his coworkers did die. I made so many promises to God on our way to Atlanta. 7 weeks later we were able to return to Kansas. More months of therapy and a prosthetic leg, he is continuing his life. Continue your mission!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your words of encouragement, we have just started our mission in this fight. 🌻

      Delete
  7. Thank you for sharing. God bless you in your Grief, my granddaughter was killed 2 and a 1/2 years ago a man looking at his cell phone instead of paying attention the pain is unimaginable and watching what my daughter has gone through there are no Words. people need to pay attention. Stay off your phone, pay attention when you're driving the man who killed my granddaughter was also driving a commercial vehicle she was killed in LA Cross kansas she also did everything correct kenzee was a gift to everyone who knew her

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words, through fate I have met Denee and Jess. God bless you all. We will continue this fight.

      Delete
  8. You are a strong father Todd and an inspiration to me and so many others. To take grief and mobilize it into activism is no small feat. I hope that each time you tell Cassy's story, and each time you connect with a new person, it provides even a small glimmer of hope that a family won't have to endure what yours has gone through. You call yourself a "father of an angel" but what you are doing is saving lives, which makes you an angel too. I'm very proud that Kansas has citizens like you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words and encouragement. I will continue this until the day I meet her in paradise. I will not allow her to become just a picture on a wall.

      Delete
  9. Our family grieves your tragedy which for most is unimaginable. Your Cassy was an angel that left far too soon. Thank you for using your grief to affect preventative changes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words. We tell ppl if you need a reason to not drive distracted, then pull up a photo of your child and imagine life with only that photo. Powerful. Thanks again.

      Delete
  10. That was very moving and well said! I had no idea the safety spot on the highway was do to this. Hopefully now everyone will know and think differently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angie, I drive by Miranda's cross every day. I think about you and Jim often.

      Delete
  11. Prayers galore for you and your family!
    One of my children came home with one of your stickers with a sunflower and a reminder to not driver distracted. We have it on the door we exit through the garage as a reminder for us and our children every time we leave the house 🌻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing. We give those decals out wherever we go. Sometimes all we need is a little reminder. 🌻

      Delete
  12. Thanks for sharing your story and turning a awful situation into something fruitful to help save others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind comments. Whatever it takes to get this message across, that’s what we will do! 🌻

      Delete
  13. I am soooo so sorry again to hear about this..this broke my heart knowing me and Cassie were bestiesss! I loved that girl with all my heart and she was such a happy girl with a happy soul! I’m so sorry and may god bless you and your fannily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind words. I am so happy that you all were friends and our family is grateful for all you are doing to keeping her name alive and spreading the message to save someone else’s life. 🌻🌻

      Delete
  14. Mr. Linder, I am also a grieving parent. The accident that took my son's life was not the other driver's fault but that doesn't matter to me. Thank you for sharing your daughter's story. I shed a few tears reading your words. My heart goes out to you cuz I'm right there with you. My son was just a few hours into his 24th birthday when God decided he needed him back. I am still his mom and I have to keep his memory alive....and that I will do....until I can't. God bless you Mr. Linder.
    AnnaMae Rome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry and yes I know the pain you feel. Yes please keep your sons name alive, do not let them become just a picture on the wall. Until my daughters crash I was unaware of all the ways that we are distracted as we drive. It has truly opened my own eyes as well. God bless you and your family. 🌻

      Delete
  15. I am in tears reading your sweet girls story. I’m so very sorry for your loss. This is a great reminder why it’s not worth checking your phone while driving. Sending so much love to your family. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words. Sometimes all we need is that little reminder. 🌻

      Delete
  16. Thanks for sharing. I hope this will impact others and save someone! Prayers for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words. We hope that with just a small reminder we can save lives as well. 🌻

      Delete
  17. Never knew Cassy but the hundreds of posts I’ve seen about her from mutual friends, she seemed so bright, happy, with a sweet soul. My heart and prayers go out to you and your family. I now have a daughter of my own and absolutely cannot imagine having to experience this. I pray road safety is taken way more serious especially in the area of the accident. Beautiful story of describing your sweet Cassy. Prayers♥️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allison. She was a sweet free spirit young woman, not a bad bone in her, we miss her so much and will repurpose our grief and make something good out of this horrible situation. Thanks for your kind words, we are humbled by the support from both GC and Holcomb communities. 🌻

      Delete
  18. Bless you for telling your story. My heart goes out to your family. I have friends who have lost a beloved child much too soon. Their loved one continues to live in their memories shared with me. Sheryl Cockrum

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Sheryl for your kind words, our grief will never stop. 🌻

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love what you are doing. I’m so sorry about your Cassandra. My heart breaks for you.
    When my daughter Kasandra Kay was 19 she was killed on the highway too. Unfortunately she wasn’t wearing her seatbelt. The highway patrol said she would have died anyway. The blessing is her 16 month old daughter was safe in her car seat and only had a small bruise on her chest when the car went airborne and spun around. Now I always buckle up. I promote car seats like crazy. No never know what will save your life.
    Her birthday is January 29,1986. January’s flower is the sunflower.
    It is a parents worst nightmare and the grieving never stops. 🌻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry about your Kassandra Kay. I know what pain you feel, and understand the grieving will never stop. Repurpose your pain and grief into promoting vehicle and driving safety and never stop promoting it. Together we can all make a difference. Thanks for your kind words we will keep you in our prayers. 🌻

      Delete
  21. Todd, it has been almost 7 months since we all lost Cassy, she was an amazing young adult who brightened every dark room with her smile and positive attitude towards life. I miss her every day, when my daughter comes home from school I can tell it is not the same for her anymore. She is trying really hard to move on and forward, but her growing up so close to Cassy almost like sisters, makes me think that she is hurting inside and misses her sister every day! I miss Cassandra coming over to visit and the sleepovers the girls used to have! She was taken away from us physically but will never be taken away from our hearts. Cassy will always be cherished and loved by the people who knew her. LLC!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks. I truly appreciate what her friends have done for Rosa and I and the rest of our extended family. I am not sure if I could’ve made it through the last 7 months without their support. Ppl don’t realize how much that a tragedy like this takes out of a parent, a sibling and a friend. Let’s repurpose our grief the way Cassy Kay would want us too, and continue this fight against distractive/fatigued driving. Thanks for the kind words. I love and miss her to the moon and to Saturn every second of every day. 🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻

    ReplyDelete
  23. Todd, I am so sorry and heartbroken to hear about your sweet daughter, unfortunately her story is similar to the loss of our 19 year old son in a semi accident in Kentucky 6/28/2019, distracted driver caused a horrific accident involving several other vehicles, multiple people injured and the death of our son Jace, our prayers are with you and your family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words and I am sad that you all are going through the same pain our family is. I am sorry to hear your son Jace met the same fate as our Cassy because someone was distracted. Keep praying for peace and changes in driving habits. 🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻

      Delete