Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Something that NO parent should EVER have to bear

By Angie Landon Dunsworth

Miranda Dunsworth

On the night of June 20, 2012, Miranda was spending the afternoon with her boyfriend. Hours went by and it started getting late, and still no sight of Miranda. A rush of emotions went through my body, I started to feel anxious. I began texting her and calling her and no answer.

At first, I tried not to let my gut or mother’s intuition take over, but I could feel something was wrong. I kept trying to get in contact with her. I wanted to wake up my husband and tell him she wasn’t home, but I couldn’t do it. I kept telling myself she was going to walk through that door any second and I shouldn’t overreact. I must have called and texted her about 100 times before the doorbell rang. Who would have thought that the doorbell would have changed our lives forever.

Officer Sam Darroch and Dr. Nathan Strandmark were standing at my door. When I saw both of them, I knew in my gut what their next words would be, but I was in shock. They both looked at me with despair. They said, “Angie, Miranda…” while shaking their heads. They paused for a moment. I replied in denial, “Miranda what?” They proceeded to finish their sentence. “Miranda didn’t make it; she was in a bad accident.”  

Later, we learned how that night came to be. Around 12:35 a.m., June 21, 2012, Miranda was running late from seeing her boyfriend. It was past her curfew. She headed eastbound on Mary Street for home. This road has a very steep ditch on the south side. I can’t say my daughter is perfect, but she was always a BIG stickler on wearing seat belts. As hard as it is for me to say, she took her seat belt off to reach for something she had dropped.

As she tried to reach for whatever it was, she noticed she was headed toward that steep ditch and overcorrected. Her car then flipped, which flung her straight up and caused her to break her neck. She died instantly. She was then thrown from the car. The car landed on her, rolling three more times.

For those who read this, it doesn’t matter if you are only going to be unbuckled for 2 seconds. That’s all it took for Miranda. If you drop something and cannot reach it, LEAVE IT!!!! Nothing is more important than your life. Don’t kill yourself or someone else over things that don’t matter. NEVER take off your seat belt, and NEVER reach for things while you’re driving. Pull over or get it when you stop somewhere.

To the parents who read this, teach your kids how to get out of situations like that so they don’t overcorrect and roll the vehicle. Most importantly, teach them to never reach for things while they drive and always wear their seat belts. One thing I suggest is teaching them to drive on a dirt road. When you start to slide on a dirt road you, a) let off the gas; b) ride with grooves till the vehicle slows down and you regain control; and c) DO NOT SLAM THE BRAKES!!! Something I should’ve practiced more with my daughter.

During Miranda’s funeral, pastor Robert Deleon, her friends, and everyone who attended created the ‘Miranda Rule!’ - to always wear your seat belt while in a vehicle. To this day I hear kids yelling, “remember the Miranda Rule!” It brings a warm smile back to my face that people still remember my daughter.

Friends have also honored Miranda by creating a documentary in tribute to her and by getting a street named after her. These things mean so much to all her family members.

Two years later after Miranda’s passing, her younger sister, Ari, was about to turn 16 years old, and I knew the time would be coming for her to start driving. But I was NOT ready for her to start. It was difficult for me to allow my other children to get behind the wheel. She was able to get her license and is now a 24-year-old army wife. To this day has not crashed, and I pray every day she never crashes.

I remember my daughter, Miranda, as a beautiful 16-year-old girl who loved basketball, kids, friends, boys, school, and cars. She was happy, full of life, and had a beautiful future. She was very involved in sports and had many, many friends who loved her and supported her.

I recall back to when I took Miranda to get her farm permit when she was 14 years old. When she was given her permit, they asked her if she would like to be an organ donor. She looked at me and asked what that was. I told her, it’s when something happens to you and if you would like to give your organs to help others in need. I told her it was her choice and her choice alone if she wanted to be a donor. She said to me, “If I could save at least one life, that would make my life worth living.” She loved that analogy, so she became a donor and thanks to Miranda, she was able to help/save over 100 people! People from Oklahoma all the way to Maine received life-saving organs from Miranda. A person from Oklahoma received her eyes. It is heartwarming to know a little piece of her lives on.

It’s been a little over 10 years since the never-ending nightmare began. To this day, when I hear certain songs, if my children don’t answer my calls, if I hear sirens or come up onto a wreck, it brings me right back to that night. It brings me back to Miranda’s funeral and images in my head of my baby lying on a cold slab, something that NO parent should EVER have to bear. Two seconds is all it took to take her life.

Angie Landon Dunsworth is the mother of Miranda and Ari, and is from Garden City

 

22 comments:

  1. Prayers to your family Angie. Powerful message. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Todd. All we can do now is spread out daughter's love and preach how important it is for traffic safety no matter the situation. πŸ’š

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing your life saving message through Miranda. I often ask that the of all burdens in life, it won't be to lose my children. Your strength to advocate for always buckling up will save others and you have reminded me that no thing let alone life, is worth a moment of being unbuckled. What a selfless person Miranda was in her young years to offer her own life saving gift as an organ donor...absolutely a beautiful person. Your message is very thought-provoking. Ingrid Vandervort

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you soo much! Miranda had a huge heart and cared about everyone no matter your race or if your rich or poor. She just had this persona about her that everyone loved.

      Delete
  3. What a difficult story to tell, but we all thank you for sharing. The pain never goes away when you lose a loved one, and that's an important reminder to anyone thinking about unbuckling their seat belt, even for just a moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your beautiful daughter, Miranda’s story. The “Miranda rule” can save countless lives, thanks for teaching the importance of buckling up and staying buckled at all times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even though I don't know you, I can tell how remarkable of a person Miranda was, and you are a remarkable mother for sharing her story through the pain to help save lives. Your strength is amazing. Thank you for sharing Miranda's story and may you have peace knowing that you are advocating on behalf of her to follow the Miranda Rule! God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you soo much! That means alot! I just want to keep her name alive and keep saving lives in her name πŸ’š Love you too! πŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’š

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everyone should be taught driving safety on dirt roads. My children had to be able to drive down flooded dirt roads, snow packed roads & whatever other horrible condition I could find then it had to be 100 to 200 hours of that. Farmers daughter’s can find a few of the worst scenarios.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've known you for how long? Don't answer that, it will show our age! In these years since Miranda's accident, I have seen many things being done in Miranda's name. All these years, I also had never heard the phrase "Miranda's Rule." God bless you and the hubby for always trying to keep Miranda's name alive. I will work on Miranda's Rule, as I have never been much of a seatbelt wearer. I'll work on it, I promise!!! Love you, girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You better! Don't wanna go to your funeral too! Love you!! πŸ’š

      Delete
  9. The "Miranda Rule", what a beautiful tribute and honor to your daughter. And to know that in the end she was able to help so many people and save so many lives through her organ donation and the "Miranda Rule" is truly heartwarming. Thank you for sharing your family's story and sharing memories of Miranda with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing this impactful story, this is a true eye-opener for many people. I hope this story can help those understand the importance of wearing your seatbelts and ditching the distractions. It's so beautiful knowing how many lives Miranda touched and how her legacy lives on. -Y

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's all I as a mother, could ever want. Miranda to live on through legacy and save as many lives as possible πŸ’š

      Delete
  11. As hard as this was for you to write, you probably saved a life and that makes Miranda’s legacy of love live on. Proud of you for going to dark places where these memories live, so you could share with others and save a life. ♥️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. That means alot. This was a real tough one. But I had to push through. Because this was for Miranda and all the countless lives I hope this story touched and saved. πŸ’š

      Delete
  12. Thank you everyone for all the kind and encouraging words. Miranda at age 16 touched and saved more lives than the average person living a life span of 80yrs. I just hope with the "Miranda Rule" and her story, she'll continue to saving many more lives to come! Because NO PARENT should ever have to feel the pain we endure everyday. πŸ’š

    ReplyDelete