Monday, September 17, 2018

He didn't stand a chance



Coleen and her brother, Jim, are pictured
at David's grave.

By Coleen Weber
It was in the early morning hours on Oct. 15, 2000, and the telephone rang at our house in Topeka. My parents were visiting, and we had celebrated my youngest daughter’s 10th birthday the day before. I answered the phone and heard the voice of my brother Jim. 
I don’t remember a lot after that. Apparently, I screamed because the next thing I knew my parents and my daughters were standing in our bedroom. My husband had to tell my parents that their youngest son, David, had been killed in a car wreck.  He was 36.
The next few hours were absolute chaos. As the oldest of my parents’ children, I was the “fixer” and this was something I couldn’t fix. I grew up in Blue Rapids and all I could think about was how to get everyone back home because my other brother needed us. 
So, what happened?  My brother worked for the railroad and was on the road during the week. He was divorced and week-ends at home were spent thoroughly enjoying himself with his friends, and alcohol was always involved. And that is how my youngest brother became a drunk driving statistic.
He and two friends were out driving around in the country; it’s what many people do in small towns when there’s nothing else to do. He apparently was driving too fast, hit a “washboard” on the dirt road and rolled his truck. His blood alcohol level was .20. He and one of his friends were trapped in the vehicle; the other was able to get out and run for help. Thankfully the passengers both survived, but my brother died at the scene. He was drunk, he didn’t have on a seat belt and the driver’s side window was down … he didn’t stand a chance.
There is nothing that can prepare you for a phone call like the one I received that morning. It was terrifying. There is also nothing as horrible as watching your parents navigate through their grief of losing their youngest child. My brother was loud and obnoxious and loving and loyal and goofy and athletic and protective …. we miss him horribly. 
If nothing else, I hope my story has made you think twice about getting behind the wheel of your vehicle and driving after you’ve had a drink (or two), or getting in a vehicle with someone who has been drinking. Don’t become another statistic on a piece of paper …. you are much more important than that.

Coleen Weber is a Program Consultant with the Kansas Department of Transportation in Topeka.

8 comments:

  1. Coleen, Point well taken, very sorry about your brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coleen, I applaud your strength in telling the story about your brother's car accident and death. You will never know the number of lives your story will save, because your story will make someone choose not to drink and drive, and choose to wear their seatbelt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A powerful read. Thank you for sharing, Coleen. So very sorry about your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sure do love you, our family and one-of-a-kind David! Thank you for your tender, yet brutal honesty in sharing but a blink in his story Coleen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Occasionally the topic of drinking and driving or seat belt usage comes up in class. Dave is one of the examples I regularly use when trying to tell them it is a bad plan. I love your brothers like a brother and definitely miss David. Thank you for posting in this blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be happy to come and talk to your class .... if you think they can handle me crying!

      Delete
  6. What an impactful story. It's brutally honest but filled with compassion. I'm so sorry you and your family had to go through this. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Coleen, first may I say bravo for sharing such a raw tragedy in you and your families lives. I join you in hope of even one person making a decision to not drink and drive. I will never forget getting that call from Jim on that morning, our lives were forever changed. David was my best friend from the age of 4. His life could've should've been so awesome, instead of ending so early. I pray this blog will impact someone hopefully many, to not drink and drive. I love the Osborne family they are dear to my heart and I wish them the best.

    ReplyDelete