Static electricity while fueling up your car: static electricity is an electric charge caused by an imbalance of electrons on the surface of a material. For example, static electricity is that little shock you feel when you put on your coat or what makes your hair stand on up after you take off a hat.
Static Electricity poses a real threat when someone is refueling their vehicle and they don’t take steps to release the static electricity buildup after exiting. An unknowing person can have static electricity buildup, and upon touching the gas pump, a spark ignites the gasoline vapors around the nozzle and a flash fire is created. The fire will continue to burn until the fuel supply is cut off. Serious injury and property damage can occur in these situations.
According to a Purdue University report There are ways that you can prevent static electricity fires while at the pump:
1. Turn your vehicle off when you refuel your car.
2. Do not return to your vehicle while refueling. This is how most static electricity fires begin. Drivers re-enter their vehicles for various reasons, and when they depart to reach for the gas nozzle, they don’t discharge the static electricity buildup.
3. If you must return to your vehicle, you can discharge the buildup by touching the outside metal portion of your vehicle — if it’s far enough away from the gas tank.
According to the report, if you find yourself in a situation where a flash fire occurs while at the pump, don’t panic. Simply leave the nozzle in the vehicle fill pipe. Make sure everyone is out of the vehicle and alert the station attendant immediately. They can shut off the pumps with emergency controls.
Always be aware of your surroundings when refueling, when in doubt, just touch the metal part of your vehicle before reaching for the nozzle, especially when its cold and dry outside